Here’s a recipe we love. It’s a healthy, low carb zucchini lasagna with a flavorful turkey meat sauce. Packed with veggies, protein and delicious flavor. This will be your new favorite freezer-friendly meal! 😋
•Nonstick cooking spray •4 large zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick •1 teaspoon olive oil •3 cloves garlic, minced •1 small yellow onion, diced •1 green pepper, diced •1 pound lean ground turkey •1 - 14 oz can tomato sauce •1 - 14 oz can crushed tomatoes •2 tablespoons tomato paste •2 teaspoon dried oregano •handful of basil, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup) •handful of parsley, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup) •1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper, if desired •red pepper flakes, if desired •salt and pepper, to taste •For the ricotta cheese mixture: •15 oz part skim ricotta •1 egg white •1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese •12 ounces reduced fat or part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place sliced zucchini on large baking sheet coated with non stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes to help dry out the zucchini a bit. This is a critical step.
3. To make meat sauce, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, and peppers and cook a few minutes; stir. Add in turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, parsley, and a few dashes of red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer UNCOVERED 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce REALLY thickens up! Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat to cool.
4. In a medium bowl, combine egg white, ricotta, and Parmesan. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Add in 1/2 cup of the slightly cooled meat sauce and stir.
5. To assemble, spread 1/2 of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Place zucchini evenly over sauce, spread on 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella on. Repeat. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake for 15 minute longer uncovered.